1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a large rectangular baking dish.
2. Peel and cut up 2 cups of sweet potato and place it in a medium sauce pan and add enough water to cover. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium high and simmer for 5 to 7 min or until fork tender. Drain and set aside.
3. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add 1 red onion chopped and 2 large cloves of garlic, minced, until translucent. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Add a bell pepper, chopped, a can of black beans and 2 hand fully of chopped spinach and cook until wilted.
5. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce with 2 tbl of lime juice, 1 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp cumin and 1/2 tsp kosher salt.
6. Spread 1 cup enchilada sauce evenly over the bottom of prepared baking dish.
7. Bake the enchiladas, uncovered for 20-25 minutes, until the sauce is a deep red color and the enchiladas are heated through.
When ready plate the enchiladas and drizzle with avocado-cilantro cream sauce. Garnish with cilantro and green onions. I put the cream sauce in a sandwich bag, snipped off a corner and used that to drizzle the sauce that way.
Acocado-cilantro cream sauce
In a food processor, process the cilantro until minced. Add the avocado, 2 tbl lime juice, 1/4 tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and 3 tbl water and process until creamy. I don’t have a food processor so I used my blender.
1. In a medium sauce pan, melt 2 tbl of vegan butter over medium heat.
2. Stir in 2 tbl flour until a thick paste forms. Stir in 4tsp chili powder, 1tsp garlic powder, 1tsp ground cumin, 1/2tsp onion powder and 1/4tsp cayenne pepper until combined. Cook for a couple minutes until fragrant.
3. Stir in 1 scant cup of tomato paste along with 1 3/4 cups vegi broth and whisk until smooth and combined. Bring to a low boil over high heat and then reduce the heat to medium until to medium and simmer for about 5 minutes.